Weekly Photo Challenge: Fortuitous Foreshadowing

Leading the Way, August 3, 2013. My shot of the “bubble girl” at the beginning of the ceremony is blurry, though I think the softness of the resulting image is fitting: she double and triple-stepped down the aisle, a sunny harbinger for the bride and groom.

Foreshadowing predicts an ending.  It also can presage a beginning, and one heck of a journey.

Putting the “shadow” in “foreshadowing” seems to lend its prescient powers to the darker side.

“Shade”–despite its negative “shady” variations–conjures a respite from an overly sunny day (a particular boon to someone who, like I, still burns bright red notwithstanding liberal application of 3-digit SPF sunscreen).

When I hear the word “shadow,” however, I tend to think much darker thoughts. Involuntarily, it calls to mind the dark side of human nature: my mother implanted in my subconscious the phrase: “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?  The Shadow knows.”

Prosecutors are among those who know that side of human nature as well.

To me “shadow” represents not only a darker shade cast into light, but the horror and shock of unexpected shadows on a CAT scan.

But nothing about the definition of “foreshadowing” is inherently weighted towards darkness. Foreshadowing can be fortuitous as well, containing the hint or the overwhelming possibility of a happy ending, or an entire happy lifetime.

I just attended the wedding of a young man I’ve known since his birth, the first son of a boyhood friend of Jim’s.  He married a beautiful and sunny young woman whom he dubbed “Sunshine.”

It is, after all, sunshine that creates shadows.

In their honor I am changing my view of “foreshadowing” to the sunny side.

A Sky of Brandeis Blue, August 3, 2013

This entry was posted in Love and Loss and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Fortuitous Foreshadowing

1. seeker says:

To the new meaning of foreshadow, sunny side of life. Bubble girl is so cute.

2. Jeff Sinon says:

“Always look on the bright side of life…” 😀

3. Stephanie says:

Doo-dah-doo, da-doo-da-doo, da-doo-da-doo dah. . . .

4. Tina Schell says:

Good for you! A sunny foreshadowing and no clouds. HurrahM

5. cspindler says:

I agree with you about the fortuitous nature of foreshadowing. Many interpretations this week seem to be of cloud-filled, threatening nature. Thanks for your perspective.

6. mhdriver says:

Thank you for showing different point of view on foreshadow. Children are always a good subject and can make a picture more desirable. I find for myself I try and look at the sunny side of life. You are right one never knows what evil lurks in the shadows.

7. Pingback: Photo Project ’52 Bolivian Sundays’ [week 31, 'Foreshadow']. | 3rdculturechildren

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Foreshadow. A Rooster Crows. Church of Saint Peter in Gallicantu, Jerusalem | JaniceHeck

9. shammee says:

Its amazing how your train of thoughts changing towards a sunny path …. love the photos & your interpretation …
    🙂

Thank you! I’m kind of amazed myself, looking back, how I seem to have been able to shake off some of the pessimism and be able to begin to appreciate the joy around me again.

10. Lovely little bubble girl 🙂

11. Stephanie says:

I just can’t look at her without smiling.

12. deb says:

Looking on the bright side always makes me happy.it sometimes drives others crazy. Both sides may always be there but if I can get away with acknowledging the “shadows” ( only if I must) and then focusing on the tiniest bit of positive, that’s my preference! I think of you often with much hope you are doing well. Hello to all!