Vicarious Adventure

Annapurna, Emma E. Glennon (c) 2014

She has seen white nights in Russia, and a Queen of the Night near the equator.

In one photograph she is at the bottom of the sea; a neon-striped bright blue and yellow fish obscures her torso.

In another recent photograph she beams against a backdrop of temples in Myanmar.

My sons and I tagged along with her to Kyoto, and last summer my experienced young world traveler planned our great adventure to another continent with her father’s ashes.

(“Mom,” she said to me last spring, as she was planning her summer research.  “How would you feel about my catching plague rats in Madagascar?”)

This daughter occasionally sends photographs of her travels, allowing me to drink in what she has seen.

I am unlikely ever to experience the other senses these places fill–the smells and tastes of German and Spanish food; the feel of uncut sandstone; street sounds in Bangalore; drenching humidity in Bangladesh; cadences of speech in more languages and dialects than I can imagine.

But it’s such a treat to share her windows on the world.

Nepal2

Nepal, Emma E. Glennon (c) 2014

This entry was posted in Love and Loss and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Vicarious Adventure

1. wendykarasin says:

You should be proud! Of her and yourself. Hours ago I dropped my daughter at JFK as she works her way toward Australia – and I was/am a basket-case. I

I’m incredibly proud of the kids, and my fiercely independent first daughter never stops amazing me (and anyone else who encounters her). So much of her adventuresome father is in her, and I feel he tags along with her not because she needs any looking after, but because she leads him to such amazing places. The best to your daughter and to you. I’m confident she’ll have wonderful adventures, too. . . .I hope she brought a camera.

Funny thing, that vicariousness with our daughters….they start their lives through us, we extend ourselves through them…it feels very close and personal. We are enriched.

3. ann martin says:

What a treat to see Emma’s photographs and your text! Thanks!!! XOX AM

4. jenny says:

What a beautiful, touching post.

5. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: Humanity | Love in the Spaces

6. Leya says:

A beautiful photograph and beautiful text to it. My daughter, Emma, is a gem too. Children are. Precious.

7. That first photo looks almost mystical in it’s awe-inspiring way.

Amazing post for the picture of the day!