Emergent Orange (Rambles in the Rainbow Garden: Part 2)

October Orange (c) 2014

Unless you attended an institution equipped with a tiger mascot (and accompanying Halloween school colors), orange is unlikely to be voluntarily featured in your daily color intake.

Yet orange is everywhere.  Literally.

Emergent orange results when one examines the mid-range of all pixels: everything reduces to orange.

I’ve recently attempted to organize thousands of pictures I took in the past few years.

Most are saturated with color, including quite a bit of eye-popping orange.

But I could instantly see that the photographs I took in the months leading up to my husband Jim’s death provided a notable outlier: gray, gray, and more gray.

Winter light occasionally made a valiant effort to peek through, but the best I seem to have recorded then was a sickly yellow patina washing into an undifferentiated sea of ash and steam.  In the photo archives, this swath of time is “a study in colorlessness.”

Months late, color began to nudge back into my photographs, beginning with emergent pastels.  Tentative lavender, pink, and pale yellow peeked into my pictures.

Regaining color evidently–at least for me–seems to have gone hand in hand with reclaiming a place to be productively in this world notwithstanding ever-echoing loss. Color seems to have tagged along for the ride as I tried to pick up the pieces.

And though it was a long time in coming, I can see in those collected photographic images the very moments when, finally, the Technicolor world returned with a roar of autumn orange.

This entry was posted in Love and Loss and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Emergent Orange (Rambles in the Rainbow Garden: Part 2)

1. Amy says:

This is an amazing orange gallery! I haven’t been able to organize my thousands of photos the way I’d like to…

2. Catherine says:

I also noticed your orange background to match. Nicely done! We are so fortunate to live in New England in the fall. Stunning photos.

3. wendykarasin says:

Color can be a worthy mirror of one’s mood – orange being vibrant and happy – gray, dulling and listless. What you write, and the colors accompanying what you write about, make perfect sense to a color sensitive soul like myself.

4. Tom Schultz says:

Nice pics! There should be a profusion of orange around here in about two weeks. So, you write jury instructions? An underappreciated form of prose. 😉 Now, as for the memorable “Dirty Water,” I’m trying to recall all the other hits of the Standells (had to google the band’s name). Give me a couple weeks and I may think of one. 🙂 BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you liked the photos.

5. ann martin says:

Really impressive analysis — color infers the mood of the artist (photographer, etc.) — just as words convey emotions of the author. Wonderful mood of orange in the month of the earth’s fall color statements. AM

As a graduate of Los Gatos High School, I am fortunate to have had a generous allotment of orange in my life. Yes, Wildcats wore orange & black and Halloween was a cinch. Your photos are stunning, especially the skies.

7. Your photography is always terrific. I love the orange ‘pom-poms’.

8. jenny says:

What a lovely post. I feel genuine joy for you, at the gradual return of colour. And the photos are beautiful!

9. Denise Glennon says:

Reminds me of the song, “Kodachrome….gives the nights bright colors, makes you think all the world’s a sunny day…” Paul Simon I think.

10. Wonderful, orange gallery.

11. Touch2Touch says:

Orange, the color of the sun, the source of our earthly life.
    These photos are so full of life! The capacity for joy returns, making memories also joyful. I’m sure this is so.