Poetry in Motion

Poetry in Motion (c) SMG

My husband Jim believed in the healing power of motion.

He wanted us to get outside and move–to walk, to hike, to bike, to run with the beagles, to climb mountains in the summer and sheer ice walls in subzero temperatures.

That his exuberant outdoor presence could be forever stilled remains beyond my belief, though we watched as his heart stopped beating.

We keep moving.  One daughter takes to the stage and spins, ribbons of color trailing where she has lightly touched down.  Another daughter moves from continent to continent, contemplating the Ganges and biking among golden temples in Myanmar.  Our sons plow ahead in their studies and fields.

One bonus of my own relatively plodding forward movement is that I find even when I’m alone, I’m not really alone.  A bird’s shadow will waver over my path, or a deer will dart into thicker brush.  A wild turkey will flicker through the woods by my side.  Hearts still beating.  Breathing in, breathing out.

This entry was posted in Love and Loss and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Poetry in Motion

1. Leya says:

Beautiful and moving.

2. Pingback: Photo Challenge; Motion | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice

3. Well said. Thanks for the reminder of what is important in this life. Ω

4. I either fast forward or mute ads, but there is one that says something to the effect that a body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays at rest. I’ve never climbed a mountain or an ice wall like your beloved husband, but I walk. Moving is good mentally and physically as you travel through the life that you have which may not be exactly the one you had envisioned. 🙂

He always went for the big adventure, not being risk averse like me. The way he tackled everything convinced me both to put away my fears of riskier adventures and to appreciate the subtle everyday adventure of just keeping in motion. He knew the value of both.

5. dunelight says:

I am sorry for your loss. The thoughts here, as the photos too, are lovely and brilliant.

6. wendykarasin says:

I love the way you write, and what you write about. If you are willing, would you share my author Facebook page with your followers. We write about similar topics. I just published a book (The Moon To Play With – A Daughter’s Journey) about relationships, love, loss and renewal. How being present to a loved one’s death, can change the way we live. Thank you.

I can’t quite figure out how to post your link to my Facebook page. Do you know how to do that? (In idiot-proof steps….)

• wendykarasin says:

Go to my author Facebook page ‘The Moon To Play With, A Daughter’s Journey’ and click on the share button on the bottom. Then type in your name and it will appear on your timeline. If you click share from there, it should show up on the public page. Let me know if that works (from one un-techy to another) and thank you for doing it!

7. Paula says:

A touching post. I love your captures!

8. Marie Keates says:

All we can do is make the most of every day we are lucky enough to have and get happiness from the little things.